Thursday, October 8, 2015

Time to order parts

So I actually did this awhile ago, but I'm really catching up here.  The github post by Jeff had a list of electronic parts he used, but not quantities.  That last bit is pretty important.  I spent some time looking at photos and the video to figure out numbers, and here's what I came up with, modified based on my design... these are primarily just the parts it makes more sense to order, the rest you can generally get affordably in town.

  • 5  x 16x8 LED matrix drivers
  • 4 x MCP23017 I/O expanders
  • 1 x Arduino.  He used an Uno, but I'm switching to a Mega as it was only $2 more expensive at Microcenter and gave more I/O for a little more design/expansion flexibility
  • 1 x Raspberry Pi.  He clearly used a B, but I'm starting with a B+.  If I find I need more power, I'll switch to a 2
  • 12 x 30mm square illuminated pushbuttons
  • 2 x 4 digit 7 segment LED displays
  • 6 x 3 digit 7 segment LED displays
  • 7 x missile switch covers
  • 2 x SPDT switches
  • 16 x SPST switches
  • 4 x rocker switches
  • 9 x 10 mm LED holders
  • 32 x 10 mm diffused green LEDs
  • 23 x 10 mm diffused red LEDs
  • 8 x 12 bi-color LED bargraphs (2 more if you want to do the INCO panel display)
  • 5 x 30 mm yellow arcade buttons
  • 4 x 30 mm red arcade buttons
  • 3 x 30 mm green arcade buttons
  • 1 x power supply (he used 5v 10A switching, I'm going to see what I need based on my modified design as I get further along)
  • 1 x multiposition rotary switch (it looks like he used a 7 position, I'm switching to 5 as it fits with another device I'm building that needed 5 position switches, allowing me to combine orders and get them cheap)
  • 8 x rotary potentiometers
  • 9 x potentiometer/switch knobs
  • 2 x 3.5 mm stereo audio jacks
  • 1 x walkie talkie set
  • 1 x headset with microphone
  • 4 x 5 mm red LEDs
  • 2 x slide potentiometers
  • 4 x 5 mm LED holders
  • 76 x #6 finish washers
Then there are the other bits, such as masonite, translucent cutting boards, laserjet transparencies, wire, glue, etc that I bought in town.  I'll document this stuff as I use it to recommend a final BOM when I finish.  In addition, I'm using the following that was not purchased, but was just lying around unused:

  • 1 x Asus EeePc 1005ha Netbook 
  • 2 x computer speakers
Next time I'll show you where I ordered each part from.  There were some significant savings to be had by switching up orders online, as long as you can wait for parts.  I'm sure others could even beat my costs...





No comments:

Post a Comment